- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Manufacturing
- Industry: Aerospace
- Post Date: 06/23/2022
- Website: dorbit.space
- Company Address: Viale Risorgimento, 57, Fino Mornasco, Como 22073, IT
About D-OrbitDeveloper of a decommissioning device designed to dispose of satellites at the end of their lifespan. The company's decommissioning devices can be installed on any satellites and launchers' stages and are able to quickly and safely remove them from orbit in a controlled manner and ensuring a cleaner space, enabling space organizations to reduce the effort of electric satellite platform during the critical first phase of orbit raising, increasing the overall satellite reliability.
D-Orbit is a market leader in the space logistics and transportation services industry with a track record of space-proven technologies and successful missions. Committed to helping companies profitably and sustainably maximize the opportunities to do business in space today and into the future, the company has developed proprietary space logistics technology and transportation solutions that will accelerate the growth and development of a trillion-dollar space economy, including human expansion into space.
ION Satellite Carrier, the company's core technology, is a space vehicle that can transport satellites in orbit and release them individually into distinct orbital slots; ION can also accommodate multiple third-party payloads like innovative technologies developed by startups, experiments from research entities, and instruments from traditional space companies requiring a test in orbit.
D-Orbit has offices in Italy, Portugal, UK, and the US; its commitment to pursuing business models that are profitable, friendly for the environment, and socially beneficial, led to D-Orbit becoming the first certified B-Corp space company in the world.
About this role
D-Orbit is hiring a system AIV engineer to join our growing system engineering team. As integral part of the group, you will be involved in the Assembly, Integration, and Verification of already flight-qualified platforms, such as the ION Satellite Carrier Vehicle, and of new advanced missions. Your ultimate objective as system AIV engineer is to ensure your system, the spacecraft, successfully passes all verification steps and is certified ready-for-flight.
You will follow at system-level the whole lifecycle of D-Orbit’s spacecraft, focusing mainly on AIV activities. Working shoulder-to-shoulder with D-Orbit’s manufacturing team and all subsystems designers, you will be tasked with assembling and testing our Engineering Models, Structural and Thermal Models, and Flight Models. You will support the design and verification of Ground Segment, manage and carry out launch campaign at the launch site, and support the flight operations team before and during on-orbit operations.
Tasks and responsibilities
· Overall spacecraft and subsystems verification plans definitions, maintenance, and control;
· Carry out Assembly, Integration, and Verification of spacecraft and subsystems at all levels, holding responsibility for spacecraft model (from Engineering Models to Flight Models) AIV;
· Support systems design implementing design-for-maintainability guidelines;
· Interfacing with all subsystems and teams during AIV phases;
· Execution of launch campaign;
· Support to LEOP and orbital operations;
· Authoring of Technical documents.
· We are interested in speaking to people with a minimum of one to three years of experience working in spacecraft systems design.
· Knowledge of System Engineering and system-level knowledge of all spacecraft subsystems;
· Knowledge of data busses architectures;
· Experience with data interfaces such as i2c, SPI, CAN, RS422/485;
· Hands-on experience with typical electronic laboratory equipment and tools;
· Proficient in working in Linux environment;
· Experience in spacecraft AIV process;
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
· Proactive attitude and ability to work in a team.
· Knowledge in CubeSat Space Protocol is a strong asset;
· Knowledge in ESA PUS is a strong asset.
- University degree preferably in the fields of Aerospace/Space Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Automation Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering or Computer Science and Engineering
- This role requires professional proficiency in English.